Wednesday, November 14, 2018

"T" easers and Pleasers

It seems like I have too many projects going on, but progress is being made.  There's just so much testing and re-testing that needs to be done until I'm satisfied (I'm probably one of Shapeways' best customers...) but the pace should settle down once I have the basics covered.

Trucks are on the list.  I need trucks that are substantial enough to take some abuse, hold the wheelsets, and still look reasonably good.  I have the latest batch of test trucks on the way.  There's a suspension that holds the axle in place a bit better and is actually sprung.  I call this the Union Jack suspension since it has several cross-shaped support structures.   I have Blomberg B's, some AAR switcher trucks, and internal bearing test subjects coming.  These are in 2nd or 3rd generation at this point and getting better with each try.

I also am trying horns (and bells) again.  Cross your fingers.  I made some jewelry recently that shows the process (lost wax) is capable with the dimensions I  need, but previously SW declined to try.  Maybe they will print them now??

Oh and this experiment is also on the way (inspired by a post on Facebook..).  It's a dummy but, it's a step towards something functional.  It should work for a fixed line turnout anyway with Code 40 rail, which would be fine for my non-switching layout (the way I figure it, functional turnouts can be located behind the scenes for changing the line of trains).   If it works, I could make straight or diverging versions..

I also made a section of tie strip with roadbed.. the ties are really very fragile, so the roadbed should help make them more rugged and it's designed for a ballast coating to make it look realistic.

As if all this wasn't enough, I'm still refining the GG1, I did an SW9/1200 (SW7/8 if you chop a stack off), and refined the GP40.

Stay tuned, I'm shifting into more of a modelling mode (less computer design) to do some work on a dome car project/small display.  I can't afford all the Shapeways orders anyway!

--Jesse

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to add comments but the best way to ensure I see them promptly is to email me directly at ccetrains@gmail.com