Friday, November 30, 2018

Project Updates

Since the last post I've made quite a bit of progress on several fronts.  Here are the details:

Turnout prototype:  The #10 dummy turnout (it's permanently lined in one direction) was a qualified success.  I have additional slightly revised models on the way from Shapeways, and included detail such as an switch machine and hand-throw switchstand with lantern like the B&O used.  It looks great, and rolling stock makes it through without issue.  It's designed to be compatible with the roadbed strips (also improved to be stronger).  If you want turnouts, a set of two is available on Shapeways, and so are the roadbed strips.
  I'm almost ready to start laying track on a test module!

Trucks:  I modified the trucks (starting with the AAR switcher trucks used on the SW7, and have since updated the Blombergs, see photo.  This includes improving the robustness of them to not break so easily, and to retain the wheelsets better.  I'm satisfied, and will be rolling out across all the trucks as is feasible, and adding to kits with the shells.  The GP40 is out there with the new trucks.  The only issue is this new design is that it's tough to incorporate on smaller trucks like the roller bearing trucks;  I came up with an alternative I'm testing now and will post as I get prototypes back.

SW9/SW1200:  The dummy SW9 is out there (it's visually identical to the SW1200, hence the slash) in the shop now, in a kit which includes the new AAR switcher trucks and a horn and bell.. I'm not sure they'll print successfully but you can't say I'm not trying to push the limits :-)  I painted one up in Conrail paint as SW9 #9000 using some scavenged N-scale decals.  The number was from freight car data, cut down to size.   All in all I'm quite happy with this model!  I'm anticipating getting a powered boxcar, and have a short train of SW9/box/box/caboose..



Speaking of cabooses.. I'm in the process of revising the NE Caboose to include better detail, truck and couplers.  (Same applies to much of the lineup..) Plenty of work to do until next time! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to add comments but the best way to ensure I see them promptly is to email me directly at ccetrains@gmail.com