Monday, January 6, 2014

A Couple of Photos

I tried a new "raw brass" material in Shapeways with the AAR dummy coupler design.   Seems to have worked pretty well.  At one time I made these copulers in FUD, then had some brass models made using those as investment castings.  These are better, in my opinion.  I need to edit the design a wee bit to loosen the grip up.  When coupled it is -tight-!   




Tuesday, December 3, 2013

2nd Generation EMD Power In the Works

While thinking about new projects I began contemplating, "What is the most broad-reaching locomotive model for North American modelers?"  I.e. what locomotive model spans the most roads, geography, and time frame?  Although I have no conclusive evidence, I think the EMD GP40 (and the -2 version) should come close.    Quoting Wikipedia:

"1,187 GP40's were built for 28 U.S. railroads; 16 were built for one Canadian carrier, Canadian National; and 18 were built for two Mexican carriers.. the GP40 was discontinued and replaced by the GP40-2, which has a modular electrical system and a few minor exterior changes...  Standard GP40-2 production totalled 861 units, with 817 built for U.S. railroads, and 44 for Mexican roads."

So nearly 2000 GP40's were produced and ran on roads from the B&O and PRR to modern day roads CSX, NS, UP.. not to mention Canadian and Mexican carriers.

The initial 3D renderings are now done.. and although it will be (by necessity, due to hood width clearance issues) a dummy, we will soon have a T-gauge GP40 model.  Now to get those Blomberg trucks ready for the T-Gauge  UK wheelsets...

Sunday, November 17, 2013

A New Forum

Fellow T-gauger Doug Kightley has taken up the challenge and has created a new discussion forum: 

Sunday, November 10, 2013

Rhaetian Railway Allegra ABe 8/12

Here's a project I did at the behest of a fellow who models the Swiss railways in the Alps: the Rhaetian Railways "Allegra" or  "ABe 8/12".  The prototype runs on the meter-gauge Bernia Railway (and some others) with extreme grades and curvature.   

(Photo from Wikipedia)

The model was created using 3D printing for the lead "A" unit shells, while the "B" or middle unit was scratch-built from an A unit.  The decoration was done with the technique I call "full-side decal" where basically the entire side is one decal.  I paint the bodies white and print the decal on clear decal stock.  Some added details such as the pantographs were scratch made from etched brass parts from an ship-detailing kit.  The power chassis is the 35.5mm Eishindo chassis, and all units are powered.

If you are interested in purchasing a shells, they will be available on the CCE Shapeways site, and feel free to contact me if you are interested using the decal artwork for your own model.


Thursday, November 7, 2013

Changes in the T-Gauge Landscape

"Due to circumstances beyond our control.." the main forum for T-gauge modelers, "Talking T Gauge," which has been hosted by David  K. Smith has been taken down.  This was the place for news and updates from other T-Gaugers around the world.  The forum recently took on a life of it's own with some (in my opinion) immature behavior being displayed by users, but this is not the reason for the forum being shut down.  In any case, after checking with DKS, it appears to be a permanent loss--or at least semi-permanent.  This is sad but comes with the territory.  T-gauge is not a huge commercial market, and there are only a few of us carrying the torch.  I'm debating whether to start a new forum, and if there is another "home" for T-gauge please spread the word.  

Sunday, August 11, 2013

Rolling Stock Updates

My T-gauge reputation to date has mostly been my rolling stock models, and rest assured although work and family have taken much of my time lately I've been working on a few projects. 

A couple notable ones:

1. A 60' Harriman-style coach such as were used by the SP for commuter trains.  This shell can be powered with the 39mm Eishindo mechanism.

2. Custom made Rhaetian Railways "Allegra".. part of a commissioned trainset.  Graphics are nearly ready, I hope to post pics soon of that.

A few refinements of the MP36PH and Bombardier Coach projects have been done.  

Oh.. did I mention an EMD GP9 is in the works.  Afterall, the B&O/Chessie layout absolutely demands a few Geeps!

This should be an exciting fall as projects come along.!  

Sunday, June 9, 2013

Little Steps

Some progress to report this weekend.  I finally finished ballasting the track.  Next up will be adding and experimenting with bridges/abutments and terrain.  Pine Creek will pass under the railroad in a coupIe of locations.  One thing evident in the pictures is the ability to create nice, broad curves in T-Gauge, even in a small space.