Tuesday, October 23, 2018

The Pipeline

The past several months, I've been in a fever pitch to design new T scale (1:450 scale) models that are more accurate and appropriate for the North American prototypes I am interested in, primarily modern railroading from the 60's through modern time.  This includes a track system, couplers, trucks, modern hood diesels, structures, and some details such as truck trailers.

I'm particularly happy with the track, and the fact that now I can get decent-looking trucks using the TGauge.com needlepoint wheelsets. 



Yes, there is a great deal of testing still needed and other innovations..  powered Blomberg trucks, 3-axle trucks, turnouts--although another modeler on Facebook is hand-laying some beautiful ones!-- and working couplers (mine are press-fit/dummy..but I can envision a working system.)

Still, this progress feels good, and my enthusiasm is strong as ever.  I feel more and more that T scale is viable.  Maybe not as an operators scale just yet--we need automatic coupling/uncoupling-- but at least as a modelers scale with through trains on realistic curves.

Nearly every single day I think of something new that I want to design, or an old model I need to revise, to the point where feel my effort is getting diluted by too many projects.  The main limiting factor is time, and my spending power at Shapeways for new test printing!  Below is a list of models either somewhere in the design process, that I have designed and prototyped, redesigned/revised, or are now for sale on Shapeways in my store .

D = Design work started but not completed
P = Prototype testing/revising design in progress
F = Finished/tested new model.
R = Revised old model

Freight Cars
--60 foot boxcar shell -F
--50 foot outside post boxcar shell -R
--89 foot flatcar (TOFC flatcar) -P
--NE Caboose -P/R
60 foot boxcar in Bessemer & Lake Erie "Savings Bond" scheme. Decals from CMR Products/Netzlof Design


Passenger Cars
--Amfleet coach --P
--Celestory roof heavyweight coach --D

Locomotives
--GP40/40-2 -P/R
--SD40 -D
--GG1 -P
--RDC-1 -R
--RDC-4 -F
--F40PH -D
Test GG1 shell decorated with decals from CMR Products/Netzlof Designs
Trucks (bogies)
--Roller bearing freight trucks -P
--Inside bearing passenger trucks -P
--Blomberg B trucks -P
--Blomberg M trucks -P
--AAR type A switcher trucks -P

Accessories/Misc.:
--North American Tie Strips for Code 40 rail -F
--Knuckle coupler (dummy/press fit)-P
--53 foot dry van trailer -F
--45 foot dry van trailer -F
--40 foot dry van trailer -F
--Pennsylvania Railroad "Corridor Style" Tower, per Nassau Tower -F
Milwaukee Road 45' TOFC trailer with home-made decals (inquire if you want some).

On the drawing board:
--Open windows in all models such as passenger cars and locomotives
--More kits (shell plus trucks and couplers)
--EMD switcher
--Passenger trucks
--Powered bogies


I find the research and design process extremely enjoyable, but also getting the prototypes in-hand and doing the fettling and decorating is great as well.  I'm planning a diorama or possibly a "window box" type layout in the (near?) future with a back loop/train staging area with a front viewing box.

If you have an interest in any of these models listed above, or one you'd like me to design, please email me at ccetrains@gmail.com.  Some of my new models are available on Shapeways, several of the old ones, but some are not there because I have not thoroughly vetted them--if you have interest in being a guinea pig and testing them out, I'd love to hear from you.

- Jesse





No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to add comments but the best way to ensure I see them promptly is to email me directly at ccetrains@gmail.com