Friday, September 20, 2019

New Developments and Buying CCE Models

It's been a busy month or so and I apologize for not updating the blog more often!  There are several new developments with my T scale modeling and how CCE Models are offered for sale. 


Changes to CCE Knuckle Coupler and Roller Bearing Trucks:


Improved (v.2) CCE knuckle coupler.  The v.2 coupler has been enhanced to offer an articulated clasping movement, so although not automatic, it is more workable. Gently rotating the models to either side works to uncouple, and you can usually push gently together to couple.  I'm still tinkering with ways to automate this or at least allow automatic coupling.  One idea uses a very tiny metal "air hose" but that I forsee will just create more issues with catching in trackwork, etc.

The coupler also has improved detail, so it looks more accurate.  And on a related matter, since I do a lot of talgo-style trucks with couplers: I improved the look of the roller bearing trucks to have a more realistic profile and springs.



New Models:


50' Plate F Boxcars:  At the request of a Facebook T Scale group member (Michael Doll), I designed a pair of modern Plate "F" (hi cube) 50-foot boxcars.  One is a Greenbriar prototype and the other National Steel Car;  The main difference is the NSC version has horizontal outside ribs as well as the vertical ones.  These are pretty common today, and should fit onto one of the powered mechanisms if you want to add power to your trains.

PRR Signal Gantry:  After the initial proof of concept, I have refined the etched brass PRR signal bridge to have accurate bents and improved detail such as cross-bracing on the bridge.  This will be available in 5- and 4-track variants;  I may do a 2-track but I think it could be kitbashed to a 2-track without much trouble.


How to Purchase CCE Models:


As of September 2019, I no longer drop-ship through Shapeways.  I will still manufacture with Shapeways for the time being, but will ship from my stock.

There are a couple reasons for this.  Mainly, it is because I push the limits of Shapeways design parameters, so every time I add (or change) a model I have to fight them to print it.  I always must use a feature called "Print it anyway" which puts the risk of a failed print on me.  Although my designs have been 100% successful when I have used this feature, Sheapeways still doesn't allow customers to order this way.  The result is that about half the time when someone tries to order a CCE kit, Shapeways cancels it because of "thin walls" or "thin wires" in the design.

It's really frustrating and they have not been willing to do anything about it, I have decided to just sell and ship directly.  This allows me the additional ability to inspect models and ensure they are perfect before I ship.  I am also including additional details, such as etched brass handrails on certain models.  I'd like to get some more professional looking packaging as well. 


Here is the CCE Models Product List 
It's just a rudimentary list for now, but I will be enhancing it with descriptions, pictures, etc. shortly.

To order, emai your request to CCEModels@gmail.com.  I will confirm your order, manufacture and ship to you via Priority Mail.   Payment (prior to shipping) may be made via PayPal.  Shipping & Handling charge is a flat $8.00 for up to 4 kits (in USA).  I will quote shipping on anything larger or  international.  If you have any other requests, such as custom build/paint, or a custom design, just let me know.

Jesse/CCE Models

1 comment:

  1. I'm definitely bookmarking this. Your stuff has been great and I hope to get more in the future..

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to add comments but the best way to ensure I see them promptly is to email me directly at ccetrains@gmail.com