Thursday, November 8, 2018

Next Up: Trucks

aka Bogies..

The needlepoint wheelsets fit into the new trucks, but they aren't all that solid.  If you put much presure on them, they'll slip--the sideframes are just too thin and flex a little bit.  So, still not perfect.

Some time ago, I made some prototype "internal bearing" passenger trucks to fit on the Amfleet coach which incorporated a "snap fit" for the axle between the wheels.  Test #1 was too small and snapped, not quite rugged enough either.   I then got distracted with other projects and tabled it. 

Recently, I was putting wheelsets into a set of Blombergs and I having a heckuvatime keeping the wheelsets in.  This isn't acceptable-- there must be a better way.  So I combined the idea of the internal bearing truck with a tab that holds the wheelset in place.  Prototypes are on the way..  It only takes a few iterations to get it right, aka persistence pays off as shows with the coupler.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to add comments but the best way to ensure I see them promptly is to email me directly at ccetrains@gmail.com