Wednesday, November 7, 2018

Introducing the CCE #3 Coupler

A package arrived in the mail yesterday, this one containing the prototype #3 couplers.  This project is a big deal to me--I've been wanting better-looking yet functional couplers in T-scale for a long time.  And to cut to the chase--I think these are a qualified success!

Appearance is good.  They are a knuckle style (aka Janney) coupler common to the US and other railroads around the world.  Although slightly oversize from prototype, this is not unusual for the world of model trains.  They come in a self-enclosed draft gear since I body-mount my couplers.  I  will also make a version that can be snapped into the existing coupler pocket for talgo style/truck mounted couplers. 

Functionality is good.  They pivot internally (once snapped free, as shown in the video) so that cars should be able to maneuver curves and turnouts built with the body-mount style in mind.  The jury may still be out as far as durability, but they seems pretty tough.  Check out the video: 


One design actually has a split shank so the coupler has a "spring" action, and so should be able to automatically couple-- but I found this didn't seem to work.. the split was too narrow.  I may have to re-test (to the point of destroying a coupler) because it might also snap free like the pivot action. 

I'm designing my railcar models now to accept the draft gear in a slot in the pilot, or even integrating the coupler on the model itself if necessary, and will be converting all older models to use the CCE #3 coupler. 

If you want to purchase a set click here: CCE #3 Coupler Set

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to add comments but the best way to ensure I see them promptly is to email me directly at ccetrains@gmail.com