Wednesday, October 3, 2018

Windows in T-Scale

Some time ago I created some passenger coaches and decorated them.  At the time, I had made the coach windows "open" instead of just recessed into the car body as an experiment.  I wasn't sure if this technique would yield good-looking results. I had intended to use Microscale "Krystal Klear" to do the windows.  I tried it and they looked ok but not great.  There was a noticeable concave look to the windows.  

Since my decorating technique utilizes decals for much of the paint as well as lettering, I have a ton of spare decal film laying about (as do most modelers) and thought--well that stuff is clear-- I wonder how it would do as window glass?  I applied a band over the windows and surprisingly it turned out looking great.

I recently revised the RDC-1 model and decided an RCD-4 would be a good model, but this time make the windows "open" and try the decal film glass technique.  I made a prototype of the RDC-4 and along with finding some things to correct, painted up the shell to test the glass.  

Below are some tips on this technique.  Oh and all my models will have their windows "opened" over time..

1.  I use the generic "MicroMark" or other clear decal film, but any film should work.

2.  The interior of the body and especially window frames are painted black.  The exterior is then painted--in the case of the RDC, it's silver.  Notice how "hollow" the windows look without "glass".




2.  Next, I cut the decal film to fit, with a healthy (20% or so at least) overlap.  For single windows (like the end door, or baggage or passenger door) I just cut a square, or for consecutive ones (like the 3-in-a-row) I cut a strip. 

3.  Decals are dipped in water, and MicroSol applied to the window frame, and the decal slid into place over the window frame.  Another healthy application of MicroSol is applied after in place.  In the picture, you see one side completed but still wet with MicroSol.  The decal will sag as the solvent does it's job as on the door window.




4.  After drying, the decals shrink and tighten up in the frame to form nearly flat looking glass.  However, they are almost too clear!  The final step remedies this. 

5.  A shot of Dullcote gives the windows a more consistent sheen.  End results:

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to add comments but the best way to ensure I see them promptly is to email me directly at ccetrains@gmail.com